Sunday, October 13, 2013

Becoming an Instructor

For more than two years I have been proclaiming and promising to friends and family that I would start a blog. Now that I am out of school and suddenly in the midst of building a career teaching cooking classes, it has become more of a necessity than a way to share recipes with my loved ones.

In all honesty, I have had reservations about blogging (and promoting myself via cyberspace). However, I have been extremely lucky these past few months to have found the perfect outlet for my food passions when I began instructing classes at PCC Cooks in Seattle. Last Fall, I had an internship with them while I was still in school and found quickly that I had a strong desire to join their team as a Chef Instructor upon graduation. Now, a year later, after working with many of their amazing chefs and sitting in on dozens of inspiring classes, I am up there teaching my recipes. And I love it.

As much as I had anticipated being nervous, the only thing I have experienced thus far is extreme excitement and enthusiasm. It is an incredible feeling to guide a group of people through recipes that I have created while gushing about the ingredients and explaining techniques. After my first class I realized how fortunate I was to find a job that I am good at and also love to do. Instantly, I went on the prowl for another space to teach, and a good friend of mine quite randomly found a new gig for me that same week.

This new venue, Culinary Essentials, is a kitchen store that just opened in Ballard, and they have an incredible teaching kitchen. They have kindly let me schedule four inspired-by-the-season classes for November, and if all goes well there will be various classes to come after. Thus, the most crucial reason a blog has become necessary. As opposed to PCC Cooks, I am responsible for promoting my classes at Culinary Essentials and having people sign up directly through me to reserve seats. To put it bluntly, I need to start a following and I need people start signing up for classes to fill the seats.

So, dear readers, please spread the word and follow me here on my blog and my facebook page. Mirinette will be another outlet for me to share recipes, food news, and class updates. For starters, here is the flyer for November classes:




Thanks for reading! Recipes and other food news to come. Until next time. Eat it all up,

D

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived in the area I would definitely attend. The menu sounds scrumptious and so tempting. I wish you much success in your new venture and filling your classes to "sold out" status!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Celeste! I love your Healthy Recipe Exchange blog. That is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete